Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Monthy List-Sept 2012

Aug-Sept 2012 Recently Discovered Treasures


Coming up to the end of the month means drumming up a list of my favorite discoveries for the last 30-ish days.

TOP 5 MAKE IT YOURSELF


1. Easy snack: Microwaved plantain (thanks, Mercy!)
2. Easy side: steaming summer squash with a squeeze of half a fresh lemon-no need for salts or oils!
3. Fresh and Easy-Rice crisp crackers sesame flavor-no soy and no sunflower oil. Make your own nut butter sandwiches with them or just dipped in fresh guacamole.
 4. Fresh and Easy-Strawberry Rice Crispies Cereal (makes good rice crispy treats), I made the marshmallow dessert with butter so not dairy free.

5. Lemon Chutney recipe tested & shared by by 101 Cookbooks Gluten & dairy-free.  Such a wonderful, flavorful spread. I put it over salmon and a Moroccan veggie stew & then I also had it spread on a fried egg like Heidi suggests.

TOP 5 OUT  & ABOUT


1. Portland, OR-food pods make for easy vacation meal  planning for a collectively diverse group of eaters! Lots of menus marked gluten free and vegetarian.  
2. Dominoes does a gluten-free crust pizza! (Thank you, Dennis)  Unfortunately for celiacs, they don't guarantee cross-contamination (https://order.dominos.com/en/pages/content/nutritional/nutrition.jsp). I think that is true of many restaurants still that they don't have a gluten-free oven/area for prep-some have designated fryer for no breaded items. Some places will change their serving gloves for you also (like Chipotle, if you ask).  Always a good idea to double check-restaurants sometimes change things up. 







3.  Pampas Argentine Grill on Aero Drive (pictured above) was able to accommodate me for gluten free Restaurant Week experience. A romantic night out with my Shades, debating about sustainable food. All while having choices of free Free-range, Grass-fed meats and sustainable salmon for entree options. They humored me and put the sausage bruschetta type dish on lettuce for me instead. The flan they offered off the RW menu was velvety and had cinnamon and caramel sauce swished across the top. Shades enjoyed the cheesecake and NY steak. They are hoping for next January to create a special gluten free menu for RW!
4.  Del Mar has a Gourmet McDonald's-same menu (supposedly gelato, but none when we went), swanky seating and what Abby dubbed Vegas worthy bathroom. This was an entertaining visit, but not an edible one.
5. Jimbo's having such a huge vegan and/or gluten free section. At Carmel Valley seemed like half the pastry case was one of those two! Other sections of the store continued to make me feel normal, that deprived feeling fading.  Maybe I didn't notice when I used to live in Escondido near one because I was just focused on the bliss of being in an AC building and buying some thirst quenching fruits. Or maybe gluten-free is just becoming more prevalent. 

 What kind of food makes you feel all warm and fuzzy?

1 comment:

  1. My roommate loves microwaving plantains. She also adds milk; it looks so good. Yes, gluten-free is a lot more prevalent now.

    Warm and fuzzy: mmm, I suppose whenever I make something that duplicates something traditionally make. So I get really excited when I make Chinese potstickers with the thick flour skins and Chinese New Year's cake.

    ReplyDelete